Yesterday I had my final ultrasound of this pregnancy as well as my final ultrasound ever, since we have decided this is our last baby! The ultrasound went well – baby girl is looking extremely crowded. I had about 10 cm of amniotic fluid (normal) and she weighed in at 7 lbs 3 oz! There is a 10 oz margin of error in either direction, so she could be slightly smaller or slightly bigger, but I’m a little afraid of how big she will get! I was worried about delivering Liam, and while giving birth to an 8 lb 7 oz baby was not the easiest thing to do, it was manageable. So I can only hope this time will be as well. If she is indeed 7 lbs 3 oz, and if I do go to 40 weeks, and if she follows the standard .5 lb per week growth rate, she could be 9 lbs! I expressed my worry about delivering a large baby to my OB, and he is convinced I will do fine. My only concerns about a bigger baby are a) I don’t want to end up with a lot of stitches and b) I really don’t want to end up in a c-section. I know the risk of a c-section, even with a big baby, is slim. But the thought still causes me some anxiety.
Today, I had my 2nd cervix check and, this time, in addition to softening, I am thinning. However I am not at all dilated. Baby girl is also at a -2 station, which means she is still has some dropping to do, but at least has begun her descent. I was at a -2 station when I went in for my induction with Liam. I was starting to dilate at this point in my pregnancy with him but, in the end, it didn’t make a difference as I was still induced with him several weeks later. I had started to thin with him at this stage, but I was not softened at all. So while a part of me wants to be disappointed at the lack of dilation (even though I would prefer baby girl to bake a little longer), I know that all of these signs really mean little in terms of when I will go into labor. I probably don’t need to be on high alert just yet, but there is no need for me to start worrying about induction yet either. I am hoping to get to go on my own this time. But if I am induced again, it is far from the worst thing that could happen. I’m familiar with induction, so at least there is some comfort in that. Plus, having something scheduled would make things a little easier in terms of planning for Liam’s care while I’m in the hospital. However, there is still plenty of time for things to progress naturally, so for now I will relax and be grateful that I have time to continue preparing our home for our new arrival.