Today I was screened for gestational diabetes. It involves drinking an extremely high-sugar carbonated drink and then getting a blood draw an hour later. If your blood sugar is over 130ish, they will do an extended 3-hour test to determine if you have gestational diabetes. If your number is over 200, they usually assume you have gestational diabetes and don’t even bother with the 3-hour test. Mine was over 180, which means I failed test #1. I had a feeling I was going to because when they came in to take the blood, I was still feeling VERY shaky from the sugar drink, and they said my system should be back to normal by that time. In fact, 4.5 hours later and after eating a high-protein breakfast, I still don’t feel quite right, but it’s getting better.
They were supposed to withdraw a 2nd vial of blood this morning for a complete blood count, which checks white blood cells for infection and red blood cells to be sure I’m not anemic. They did this when I first checked in, and apparently it’s standard to do checks every once in a while when a person is in the hospital. Unfortunately, they forgot to take the additional vial when they were drawing for the diabetes test, and they had to come back and take more blood.
Anyone who knows me knows my aversion to needles and those bands they use to squeeze the life out of your arm. Even after all this time in the hospital and having blood pressure checks several times a day, getting my blood pressure taken still makes me uneasy. So when they informed me they were back for more blood, it was very upsetting to me. My veins ended up constricting to the point they couldn’t draw any blood from my arm the 2nd time, so they cut my finger and drained blood from it instead.
The 3-hour test involves drinking a drink that is even higher in sugar and getting blood drawn once every 3 hours. Due to how badly I failed the first test, and after seeing my aversion to needles, they decided to give me another option besides the 3-hour test. They said I could get my finger pricked before and after every meal for a few days, and they could also diagnose me that way. They haven’t asked for my answer yet, but I will probably go with the finger pricks.
I also talked to the pediatric cardiologist today. He decided to wait a few more weeks to do a check-in, but he will be in touch with the perinatologists and he will be close by when the baby is born. The perinatologists are planning to let me go full-term unless an emergency occurs.
I thought I read somewhere that gestational diabetes can trigger low amniotic fluid, but I can’t remember for sure where I found that information. I am going to ask the doctors more about it the next time I see one.